Monday, March 17, 2014

Fitness Adventures: Diet

A couple people were curious as to what I am doing food-wise as a diet. I am kind of combining a few different things. 

Primarily, I am using the Slow Carb Diet from Timothy Ferriss' book, "The Four Hour Body." Here are the basics with page numbers for more details:
  • Avoid "white" carbohydrates (or anything that can be considered white)[p. 71]
  • Eat the same few meals over and over again [p.72]
  • Don't drink calories [p.74]
  • Don't eat fruit [p.74]
  • Take one day off per week [p. 75]
  • Eat within 60 mins of waking, preferably with 30 mins [p.95]
    • This should be 30g of protein
  • Place an ice pack on the back of your neck or upper trapezius area for 20-30 minutes, preferable in the evening. [p.130]
  • Replace cream in your coffee with cinnamon [Couldn't find page number]
Admittedly, I do eat fruit every now and then on non-cheat days. Also, I remembered wrong and have been icing for 45 minutes until I looked it up for this post. Oh well.

Things outside of this book I am doing:
  • No carbonated beverages since May 2012 (turns out it can trigger kidney stones)
  • Keeping hydrated throughout the day
  • Chewing gum instead of snacking
  • Aiming for 1300 calories or less a day
I looked up how many calories someone my gender, age and weight should be doing. It said 1800 calories to maintain and subtract 500 to lose a pound a week. I'm not calorie counting per se, but it is a trackable metric so why not.

Also, I once heard that if you are not willing to eat veggies when you say that you are hungry, then you aren't hungry, you are bored. So, if I am not wanting veggies, I reach for a stick of gum instead.

So nothing drastic, really. It is more about just paying attention to what I eat and keeping track of it.

As my doctor in LA once told me when I asked about diets, "All diets work because they all do the same thing. They make you think before you eat."

1 comment:

Amy Kate said...

I just listened to Tim Ferriss' Nerdist podcast again this weekend, and was reminded of how sensible his approach to things really is.