Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Emerald City Comicon 2011

As you may or may not know, last year I was the main photographer for Seattle's comic book convention called "Emerald City Comicon." It was over a weekend and a lot of fun. A bit exhausting, but fun.

They asked me back for this year and picked a handful of my photos to use in their press room so that anyone writing about the convention could have photos with their articles. You can find those photos HERE.

This year should be fun ask guests include William Shatner (Capt. Kirk), James Marsters (Spike from Buffy/Angel), Jonathan Frakes (Lt. Riker), Brent Spiner (Data) and the rest you can see HERE.

Last year, I managed not to buy anything except two t-shirts for my favorite geek girls (Shelby & Sarah), but I did start reading two new webcomics that I have been following ever since. I started and read the backlog of: Hijinks Ensue and Little Vampires. They are nothing like each other, but both are great and I highly recommend checking them out. Hijinks Ensue is filled with a lot of pop culture references that are hysterical. Little Vampires is an adorable weekly webcomic following these cute little vampires who happen to be obsessed with blood oranges.

Lessons I learned from last year:

  1. I do not need to go to the costume contest. They have a photographer covering it and it made for too long of a day.
  2. I need a better flash. There are too many lighting issues and I need a flash that recycles power faster.
  3. Eat something and drink more water. I had been away from San Diego Comicon too long and completely forgot the basics.
  4. I don't need to go in more than an hour before they let people in. It makes for a long day and there weren't enough photo ops.
  5. I need two lens. My basic all-purpose lens and my telephoto.
This will be happening in March right before midterms so it should be interesting. I'll update you on everything once it is done.

No comments: