Monday, January 24, 2011

Telemarketers and Me

An actual call....

Me: Hello?

Telemarketer (TM): Good morning! Can I speak to Kathy Boogejersky?

Me: *irritated* Speaking.

TM: Hello, I am calling from (some random weight loss place) and wanted to let you know that you or someone in your household have been selected for (some random weight loss promotion of pills and quick fixes to long term problems).

Me: *polite* No, thank you. I'm not interested.

[This is where they should give up. Just politely let me go on my merry way, but no. Therefore, they completely deserve the following.]

TM: *fake surprise* Oh, really? Can I ask why?

Me: *polite, but irritated tone* I find it a little offensive that you think that you can randomly call people and just assume that they or someone in their household have a weight issue.

TM: *happily* Oh, this isn't a random call.

Me: *deadpan* So you are saying that I need to lose weight?

TM: *studdering all over the place* Well, no, um...That is not what I meant.

Me: *irritated* Either way, I find this whole conversation insulting and as I said before, I am not interested. Thank you.

I then hung up. She should have just let me go when I said no the first time. I walked her right into that wall and I'm pretty sure they didn't train her for that response.

No comments: