Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Strip Clubs and you

My friends are getting married soon and the topic of bachelor parties and strip clubs came up since tonight is the actual bachelor party. Everyone has differing opinions of strip clubs. I have known a few strippers in my day and knowing how much they make I honestly believe they take advantage of men more than women, but that's beside the point.

It's come up more than once over the years whether or not one would be okay with a significant other going to a strip club. I thought I would give my two cents on the matter.

I feel the same way about strip clubs as I do about Medieval Times. They are okay to go to for special occasions and in large groups. They are supposed to be entertainment centers meant to take your money in exchange for amusement that you can't get at home. A place for a bunch of people to get together and make comments out loud they wouldn't say anywhere else. It is weird and creepy to go by yourself or go too often. If they know you by name, it's not cool. It's just sad. Dragging people there who don't want to be there isn't going to be fun for anyone. Also know the rules so you don't end up in a losing section or with a $700 lap dance bill (true story on both accounts). But all in all, I don't see the harm in going and you should quote "Cable Guy" as frequently as needed.

A side note: I do not approve of censorship or forcing your opinions on others, however, I heard this great story. For years, a local religious group was trying to get a strip club in their neighborhood closed down. Every single thing they tried failed. In a last ditch effort, they decided to actually go into the place. Sure enough, the answer to their problem was right there in front of them. It had a shower on stage. They reported them for not having it wheelchair accessible. The club couldn't afford the construction to make it wheelchair accessible or to remove it and was forced to close down. If they had only gone in there at the beginning, they wouldn't have wasted years. Sometimes you just need to do what you got to do to get the job done.

P.S. Yes, I compared strip clubs to Medieval Times. Try and get that image out of your head next time you go to either place.

1 comment:

Britt Schramm said...

I wholehearted agree with your sentiment. I was lucky enough to have an understanding fiancee who didn't throw a fit about my three bachelor parties (one on each Coast and one in-house with my groomsmen). Like you said, it's a special occasion, why not?

And I love the comparison between Medieval Times and a strip joint. But a better one would be a jello wrestling club (ala Stripes and Old School). Cheering for one side or another with drunkards all around. Gotta love the LCD of men.