Thursday, July 17, 2008

All in the marketing...

Last Saturday, I was at the eye doctor enjoying my insurance while I still have it. As I was waiting, they had this video ad for Lasik eye surgery playing in the background. I heard the voiceover guys say "Do you hate putting your contacts in every morning? Do you hate taking them out every night?" and then goes into his pitch about how Lasik would end all of that. However in my head, the ad went more like this:

"Do you hate putting your contacts in every morning? Do you hate taking them out every night? Well, now you can have laser beams shot into your eyes while your awake to correct that hassle. You can even watch as they perform the surgery on you. Best of all, it's not covered by insurance so you get to pay for the surgery yourself. Did we mention it costs more than your car? Well, it does and it hasn't been around long enough to see the effects over time as your body starts to naturally age. Doesn't that sound so much better than putting in contacts every day?"

Yea. I'm not a fan of Lasik at all. I warn all my eye doctors not even to bother pitching me on it. Instead, I got my check up (no change in prescription within the last 16 months), ordered my contacts, picked out a new pair of glasses and paid a total of $180. I'm okay living with the hassle, thanks.

No comments: