Thursday, January 2, 2014

My 2014 Resolutions

"Without a plan, there is no attack. Without an attack, no victory." - One Crazy Summer 

I am a big fan of resolutions whether they came at the beginning of the year, the month, the week or the day. The point is that you want to do better and be better.I have tried various types of ways to do resolutions and they all have their merits.

I pledge to do the following 10 Things in 2014:
  • Read a minimum of 85 books
    • 15 of which need to be from the BBC's Big Read List
    • I want to finish the Percy Jackson series
    • I want to be caught up on the Dresden books
    • Book 4 and maybe 5 of Song of Ice and Fire
    • Mix in a bit more non-fiction
  • Continue to keep up on current movies
    • I made a list of all the movies I want to see in the theater already
    • When I first moved to Seattle, I put going to the movies on the back burner and I have just found that I am happier when I am going to the theater on a regular basis.
  • I am a big fan of Todoist.com. I want to use it more/better.
    • Set actual deadlines on to do list items
    • Set and complete 3 tasks a day and 6 on days off of work
      • These can be little or big, but the point is to do something every day
      • Writing this blog was one of mine for today.
  • I have Up by Jawbone that keeps track of steps and my sleep
    • Goal: 7 hours of sleep a night
    • Goal: 7,000 steps
    • These are low goals and I haven't been reaching them consistently yet. I will raise them once I have been reaching them regularly
  • I am also a user of Mint.com. I want to use it more/better.
    • They have a budgeting feature that I need to use better and stay within a budget.
  • I want to pay off my last big credit card and not run up the ones that are paid off.
  • More play dates with my friends
    • There are a lot of people I haven't seen as much as I want to and need to make more of an effort 
  • I also want to re-do these resolutions in July. There are a few things that are up in the air at the moment that should have landed by then and I can reassess my plans.
  • Be better about returning emails in a more timely fashion. I am really bad at this sometimes.
  • Thank you cards and physical correspondence need to get back in my regular routine.  

This is my plan. It seems very doable, but who knows where the year could carry me. I know better than to make definitive statements.


No comments: