Thursday, November 28, 2013

Under the Influence

Chuck Palahniuk posted this great article from Litreactor called "Cataloging Your Influences" by

...whenever someone asks me who I read, or who my influences are, I can now simply recall the Alphabet and rattle off names like a champ, without stammering or pausing or generally appearing dense." This is very helpful when you are working on a Masters degree and in every class you are asked questions like that. But, I found it was interesting to just really sit and think about those influences. This was meant for writers, but I think it works for just about any kind of artist. As a photographer, I take my influences from movies, television, books, photos, paintings and life. Therefore, this list is pretty eclectic.

The rules are pretty loose so the letter could be first or last name.

Here is my list: [Links lead to more details or videos. It is kind of a mixed bag of delights]

Okay, I had to cheat a little with U, X, Y and Z because I wanted those people in and I couldn't fit them anywhere else without losing the others. Plus, trying to put people in just to fit those letters felt wrong.

Some of these may need a bit more discussion as to how they have influenced me. I have a plan to write more about them; specifically, James Gunn and Nathan Fillion. Their influence on me has been profound to say the least.

I thought that this might serve as a good Thanksgiving day post because I am thankful for all of the above on this list and the many benefits they have given me over the years.

No comments: