The Language of Photography
In this course, students will engage in an in-depth study of the fundamental language of photography comprised of the aesthetical, technical, and practical aspects of the medium. Artistic interpretation and technique will be examined through study of image capture, processing, and printing relevant to fine art, commercial, and documentary applications.
Will be able to:
- Create technically proficient images using manual controls on their dSLR or SLR cameras.
- Demonstrate proficient skills related to fundamentals of light, exposure, and composition.
- Apply technical skills to the creation of artistic photographs.
- Define and apply an art aesthetic to their photographs.
- Assess and critique images based on aesthetics, content, and technical quality.
- Demonstrate knowledge about the technical, aesthetical, and conceptual connection between image capture, processing, and printing.
- Differentiate between Fine Art Photography, Art for Commerce Photography, and Documentary Photography.
Will be familiar with:
- Fundamental photographic terminology
- Total workflow of the professional photographer
- A broad range of photographic equipment and materials
- A broad range of photographic styles and techniques
- Current industry trends and standards
- Academy of Art University photography program philosophy
Will display the following attitudes/ professional behaviors
- Meet assigned deadlines.
- Professional presentation of work.
- Accept and apply feedback.
- Discuss, analyze, and evaluate work using industry terminology and standards.
- Interact professionally with their instructor and peers.
- Prepare for and contribute to class discussions and critiques.
- Photo:Box by Koch, Roberto
- ISBN 9780810984356
- Books Recommended:
- Photography (10th Edition)
- Author(s):Barbara London, John Upton, Jim Stone
Every online class includes a web-based Discussion where you interact with your instructor and classmates. The Discussion simulates traditional classroom discussions, except that participation is asynchronous. This means that you can visit or contribute to the discussion at any time.