Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Summary of Photography Skills & Experience

This statement should include:
• Skills and Interests: Describe your photographic experience, skills and interests.
• Academic Experience: List any photography classes or workshops you have attended (digital and/or traditional film photography), including what the classes were and where these classes were taken. Professional Experience: Detail any professional experience you have had as a photographer.
• Exhibition List: List any exhibitions you have participated in, including the date and place of exhibition and if it was a group exhibition or solo exhibition.
• Publications: List any publications of your work, including dates and where your work was published.
• Equipment: What camera(s) do you currently use?
• Hardware/Software: What computer and operating system do you use? What version of Photoshop do you use?
• Website: If you have a website, please include the URL address.
• Other: Include any other relevant information you feel may be important for the Photography department to know about your photographic skill and experience.
• Please Note: The purpose of this summary statement is to determine where you would optimally be placed in the program. If you have advanced skill and experience, you will be placed in different classes than if your skills are of an intermediate level. It is very important that you are honest about your current skill level in order to assure that you are appropriately placed in the right classes in the program.

Professional Experience: I have been a volunteer staff photographer for: Seattle International Film Festival (2009 & 2010), Seattle Gay & Lesbian Film Festival (2009 & 2010), Cut! Film Festival (2008), Freemont Solstice Parade and Naked Bike Ride (2009 & 2010), Muscular Dystrophy Association Telethon & Masquerade Ball (2010), Emerald City Comicon (2010), Freemont Outdoor Cinema Zombie Walk (2009), World Naked Bike Ride (2009) and Amazon Fresh Company Picnic (2009).

Exhibition List: The Photo Center Northwest (PCNW) does a yearly 24 hour photography marathon called “Long Shot.” I had one photo from each year displayed as part of a group and then sold as part of a fundraiser in both the 2009 & 2010 event. The 2009 event took place at Ouch My Eye Studios and 2010 took place at PCNW’s own gallery.

Publications: In the Seattle International Film Festival (SIFF) Guide, four out of the eleven photos used were taken by me during the 2009 festival (the most from just one photographer). One of my photos was used in SIFF’s Programming Book. Additionally, my photos from SIFF 2009 & 2010 have been picked up by several websites at least 14 pictures that I am aware of (the publicists didn’t always track usage since we were volunteers). The Historical Marker Database website has published several photos documenting various historical markers around Seattle. Dave Kellet (creator of “Sheldon”) asked for permission to use a photo I took of him as his Wikipedia photo. Chris Ryall (Editor in Chief of IDW Comics) uses a photo I took as his LinkedIn Photo and both James Gunn (writer/director) and Nathan Fillion (actor) have previously used my photos for MySpace and Facebook as their profile pics. While it doesn’t seem like much, these people have had professional pictures taken of themselves and used mine as their main avatar on public websites.

Academic Experience: I have not taken any specific photography classes. I have taken film/video classes while getting my Bachelor of Arts degree in film/video from Columbia College in Chicago. I am familiar with lighting set ups, light meters, F-stops, ASAs, composition, etc. I have attended some photography group outings to a studio where I got experience using speedlights. Previously, I have only worked with hot lights.

Skills and Interests: For the past two years (since I got my digital SLR), I have covered a lot of events (see professional experience) where I was responsible for photographing various Q&A screenings, red carpet events, parties including the opening, closing and centerpiece galas. I documented the celebrities, sponsors and festival guests including getting stock photos, posed and candid photos as well as chronicling the preparation and execution of the event. On my own, I have taken photos of Seattle as I learn my way around the city (I moved there in 2008 from Los Angeles). My interests are all over the place from pop culture things like movies, television, comic books, etc. to history, literature, cooking. I don’t have many causes that I’m interested in like the environment, specific diseases or politics, but I am very much an advocate against censorship in any form.

Equipment: Pentax K2000 with an 18-55mm lens

Hardware/Software: I have a PC running Windows XP (with 2 GB of RAM) and an external drive with a 1 TB of space. At the moment, I do not have Photoshop, but will be getting a copy shortly. I have been happy using Picasa as my photo editor.

Website: http://picasaweb.google.com/photosbykathyann

Other: It is my belief that the art comes from the artist and not the technical equipment used to make the art. The reason I use Picasa instead of Photoshop is because I think that photo editing programs should only be used as digital dark rooms. I think manipulating the photograph any more than you could in an ordinary film dark room turns the photograph into a digital painting. I know I have a lot to learn and I look forward to using it.


No comments: