Thursday, January 15, 2009

Books: Sense and Sensibility


I just finished reading "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen. I have seen Emma Thompson's adaptation several times and was curious to see how she had changed the book.

I liked the book as much as the movie, but I completely respect all the changes that Emma Thompson made. She condensed scenes and removed extra characters that kept the spirit of the book without losing anything. She also found ways of working in setting up the era and explaining elements of the book that modern audiences needed more info on.

I think this should be held as an example of how to adapt a book into a two hour movie without losing the essence of the book or dwelling on too many details that are good in books, but don't translate well onto film.

I highly recommend both the book and the movie.

No comments: