Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Day

Two years ago I had no plans for Thanksgiving. I decided to do a movie day at the Arclight Cinemas. I'll link the movies to their IMDB page in case you aren't familar and no spoilers, pure commentary.

I saw: The Prestige, Bobby, The Queen and Stranger Than Fiction. I love the Prestige and currently own it on DVD. Bobby was just okay and if they hadn't used big name actors, I would have become very confused. The Queen was well done, but nothing I need to own or watch again. Stranger Than Fiction was okay. It wasn't what I was expecting and probably should give it another chance.

I had such a good time that I made this a tradition. Last year I saw: Dan In Real Life, Love in the Time of Cholera and I'm Not There. I love Dan in Real Life and currently own the DVD as well as the soundtrack. Love in the Time of Cholera was just okay. John Cusak mentions this book constantly in his movies and I wanted to see what it was about. I'm Not There would have been a great movie if they had shaved about an hour off and cut the Richard Gere part out entirely.

This year I saw: Bolt, Milk, Four Christmases and Australia. Bolt was cute and the hamster named Rhino stole the show. Not as good as Pixar, but decent nonetheless. Milk was brilliant, inspiring and my front runner for Best Picture for this year so far. Four Christmases was just okay. A little far fetched, but the acting and directing was solid. Script just needed some work. Australia was good. It didn't have any the crazy filmmaking that Baz (the director) is known for. Also, it seems to have a perfectly good ending two hours in yet goes on for another hour. It was almost like watching the movie and it's sequel back to back. I do think it will win for Best Cinematography, though. Of these, I will definately be buying Milk on DVD.

I look forward to continuing this tradition. It's a great way to try and keep up with the award season and all the movies that all come out at the end of the year.

No comments: