Tuesday, October 7, 2008

When I'm 65 - many years from now...

I mean to post this earlier, but kept forgetting to. I got this letter from the Disney benefits center the day before my 32nd birthday and this is in no way altered:

"During your employment with Disney, you participated in the Disney Salaried Retirement Plan and met its vesting requirements. As a result, you've earned a monthly benefit of $384.10 under the Single Life Annuity form of payment. You may begin receiving this unreduced amount on October 1, 2041. However, you instead may elect to receive a reduced benefit beginning as early as October 1, 2031.

If you die before your payments begin and are married on the date of your death, your spouse will receive the survivor portion of a 50% Joint and Survivor Annuity.

If you die before your payments begin and are single on the date of your death, the Plan will pay a benefit according to plan rules."



Reasons why this is funny/disturbing:

$384.10 in 2041 should buy me a loaf of bread, a carton of milk and a stick of butter.

2041 seems further away than 1976 so I felt a little on the young side for a moment.

Then they reminded me I might not live long enough to see 2041 and I might still be single in 2041 as well as being dead.

Good thing this came the day before my birthday in case I was forgetting that I was mortal and/or getting older. Thanks, Disney!



No comments: