Thursday, June 5, 2008

"Wait. What?"

In the immortal words of Joss Whedon: "The bag is catless."

On Friday, May 16, 2008 at approximately 9:02a, I told my boss that I was moving to Seattle. I gave my two month notice. Some say it was far too generous, but those people don't know how our human resources department works. Plus I wanted to give myself and my boss enough time to make the transition as easy as possible.

When I took over the desk, it took me an entire year to undo all of the damage that past assistants had done and an entire year to get moving forward. I stand by the work that I have done and I want to make sure that my replacement isn't starting from scratch.

I'm building an extensive owner's manual to the care and feeding of my desk. Hopefully, it will be enough that the person will need weeks not months or years to get moving on it.

I've been having fun telling people. I'll either just blurt it out or slip it into he conversation. My favorite was telling one of my co-workers, Randy. Our friendship only exists during the television season as we discuss Lost and the Office. So we were talking about Lost and I said "Oh and the scene in Lost where I tell Kevin I'm moving to Seattle and gave him two months notice was just awesome." Pause. "Wait. What?"

"Wait. What?" seems to be the most common response followed by "why?" and either "really?" or "seriously?" The people who I told a while ago are coming slowly out of their denial while others are still firmly in it. With being sick so much of last year, I think it might take a while after I'm gone for it to really kick in. I think a lot of people thought I was a lifer both at Disney and in Los Angeles. I thought I was too, but looks like we were wrong.

Now the word is trickling through and I have been making sure the rumor mill gets to everyone, but I will no doubt miss someone. I'm going to miss a lot of people and the work (at times), but I really do need a change.

No comments: