Tuesday, February 3, 2009

This Week In Netflix

"Fiddler on the Roof" (1971) Description from Netflix: Filmed on location in Eastern Europe, this beloved musical based on Sholem Aleichem's stories was nominated for eight Academy Awards and won three. Director Norman Jewison chronicles the trials of Jewish peasant Tevye the milkman (Israeli actor Topol), humble father of three strong-willed daughters and husband to oft-objecting wife, Golde (Norma Crane), in pre-revolutionary Russia. Violinist Isaac Stern provides the haunting music of the fiddler.

I liked this musical a lot. I had seen bits and pieces of it over the years, but never actually watched it all the way through. Unlike "Hello, Dolly!" I did not find myself fast forwarding through the musical numbers. It is very easy to get the music stuck in your head. I also learned a bit of trivia watching this. John Williams did the orchestrations. It's the only musical he ever worked on.

"Quantum Leap: Season 1" (1989) Description from Netflix: In this popular NBC TV series from the early '90s, Scott Bakula plays Sam Beckett, a physicist from the future who's figured out a way to travel back through time, fixing other people's mistakes. The only problem? The process left him with no memories of his own. Every week, with only the assistance of his wise-cracking friend Al (Dean Stockwell), Sam leaps into a new life and faces new challenges -- always hoping that someday he'll leap home.

I haven't seen this in many years and I realized I only saw one episode from season 1 when it aired. I have to say it hold up pretty well. The effects aren't the best and Al's outfits of what is supposed to be futuristic are a bit trippy. However, the plots and pacing still hold up. They didn't have the opening credits done quite right and there was a lot more voiceover from Sam then I remember. Overall, I recommend going back and re-watching or watching for the first time if you never did.

No comments: