Monday, December 8, 2008

Another Week In Netflix

Here is what I watched this past week:

"Wanted" (2008) Description from Netflix: Wesley Gibbon (James McAvoy) is just an ordinary guy, unaware that his long-lost father is one of the world's most notorious assassins. But when his father is killed, a mysterious associate named Sloan (Morgan Freeman) arrives, offering Wesley the chance to fill dad's shoes. Mentored by Sloan's deputy, Fox (Angelina Jolie), Wesley carries out the will of the mythological Fates, who see Wesley's targets in a magical loom.

Wow, did this movie suck. I was expecting to like it a little, but it was just pure crap. Don't get me wrong, I love James McAvoy and I love bad action movies, but this was just unbelievable. I had nothing to connect to. The characters were unbelievably annoying. The plot was paper thin. The effects weren't even that great. I will wipe this movie from my memory and will not count it against James' career.

"Recount" (2008) Description from Netflix: This made-for-TV, Emmy-winning film chronicles the extraordinary behind-the-scenes drama that unfolded in the weeks following the highly controversial 2000 election -- a presidential race that further split an already divided America. With the country's leadership hanging in the balance after the closest vote in history, the battle between George W. Bush and Al Gore would come down a hotly contested vote count in Florida. Kevin Spacey and Laura Dern star.

This HBO original movie was very well done. I didn't exactly understand all the things going on at the time, but I felt this explained everything very clearly. I now understand people freaking out about this more. While it is very biased I felt that they did a good job showing the other side's perspective. Amazing performances. I highly recommend.

"Jennifer 8" (1992) Description from Netflix: Andy Garcia stars as John Berlin, a detective who goes to work in a small Northern California town and is almost immediately pulled into investigating a gruesome murder spree. Eight unidentified blind women, code-named "Jennifer" by police files, are victims of a killer's gruesome handiwork. John works to uncover the mystery with the help of (and while protecting) the possible next victim, Helena Robinson, a blind woman played by Uma Thurman.

My friend, Mike, has been talking about this for a while so I threw it on my list. I was shocked at how good this movie was and how I had never really heard much about it. It had solid characters, plot and was a edge of your seat thriller. John Malkovich was BRILLIANT in his small role. The movie keeps you guessing and I can't recommend it enough. I am adding it to my wish list as we speak.

"Pieces of April" (2003) Description from Netflix: A young woman (Katie Holmes) tries to make Thanksgiving dinner for her estranged suburban parents (Oliver Platt and Patricia Clarkson) at her apartment on New York's Lower East Side, while also introducing them to her new boyfriend, Bobby (Derek Luke). Unfortunately, the meal doesn't go exactly the way she hoped it would … beginning with that temperamental oven!

I am a big fan of "Dan In Real Life" and this was the director's directoral debut. It is very indy. Katie Holmes (pre-brainwashing) was excellent and the story was very realistic. Good characters and plot. It needed some work in pacing and acting by certain people *cough* Sean Hayes *cough.* It was a good movie and I can recommend catching it on cable or something.

No comments: