Tuesday, April 22, 2008

TED: If I controlled the Internet - Rives

The first TED video I posted was by a slam poet/pop-up book creator named Rives. Rives has performed on HBO's Def Poetry Jam and has won many a slam poetry contest. I am not a fan of poetry, but I love his work. Below is a brief little slam poem about what if he controlled the internet.




Completely inspiring. I actually have one of his poems hanging on my fridge called "Compliment." I just love his imagery. I love that he can take just some simple phrases and make you feel good. Here is one small turn of phrase that he uses (which I plan on stealing if I ever need a good compliment):

But I’m not insisting you’re some kind of goddess,
(I know you’re suspicious of unspecific love poems).
You’re more like a sunflower,
growing in the courtyard of an old folks home--
you mean things to people on a daily basis,
and this petty poem won’t explain
just how “my favorite” your face is,
(but I wish I’d been your bathroom mirror
the day they took off your braces).

No comments: